Friday, August 3, 2012

Team Bright Pink Quilt Raffle

Image Courtesy of Kali Chatham


I am so excited to be a part of Bright Pink San Antonio this year!! One of my dear friends will be running the Chicago Marathon to benefit Team Bright Pink and is raffling off an amazing hand stitched quilt to benefit the organization. I would love for all of my readers to donate at least $5 to Kali's cause and help her reach her goal of  $1,500; and as an added plus you could possibly win a lovely quilt.  


I recently spoke with Kali about why she is running the Chicago Marathon to benefit Team Bright Pink. For Kali breast cancer hit close to home, "I’ll never forget the shock I felt when I learned my mother had been diagnosed with breast cancer. She was too young, too healthy, and too full of life to have cancer thrown into her path. Why my mother?" Kali soon decided that she wanted to dedicate her life to helping families affected by breast and ovarian cancer. "In the years following her [Mother's] diagnosis and treatment, my search for understanding, hope, and answers to these questions combined with my passion for science to lead me into the field of genetic counseling. I knew that as I prepared to become genetic counselor I wanted to specialize in cancer genetics and help families affected by hereditary cancer syndromes. I discovered Bright Pink in graduate school while familiarizing myself with the valuable resources and organizations available to my future patients. This incredible organization has helped countless young women and I feel so fortunate (both as a now practicing genetic counselor and as a patient) to have Bright Pink as an invaluable resource." 


Kali strives everyday to help educate others about breast and ovarian cancers. As one of only a few genetic counselors in the San Antonio area, she is able to spearhead a growing industry while continuing to work for her passion. 


Please make sure to check out Bright Pink's national website. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    I have a quick question about your blog, would you mind emailing me when you get a chance?

    Thanks,

    Cameron

    cameronvsj(at)gmail.com

    ReplyDelete